We all know the reality is that achieving major health and fitness goals doesn’t happen overnight. It takes commitment and effort to see results in the long run. However, little changes we can implement today can make a big difference over time. We’ve compiled a list of simple (yet significant!) things you can do to improve your health and wellness today.
- Drink More Water – Being properly hydrated can have an immediate effect on health. According to care2.com, drinking enough water eliminates body aches and pains, headaches, and fatigue.
- Increase Your Soluble Fiber Intake – This type of fiber found in apples, oats, beets, chia seeds, and barley reduces cholesterol and improves heart health, as shared by onegreenplanet.org. More immediate effects of taking in more soluble fiber include regulated digestion and blood sugar levels.
- Hug Someone – Taking care of your health means all aspects of your health – physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. In that vein, you can experience an immediate boost of a feel-good hormone called oxytocin when you hug someone you care about. Bodyandsoul.com says a big bear hug “also reduces the levels of the stress hormone cortisol in our bodies.”
- Wash Your Hands – Practicing good hygiene by washing your hands regularly is your best defense against the spread of germs, making sure you stay cold and flu free. Proper hand washing means lathering up with soap and water and rubbing for about 20 seconds.
- Be Mindful of Your Posture – By making sure you are sitting and standing up straight throughout the day, matador.com says you are making instant improvements in your respiratory and digestive functioning. Over time, good posture alleviates muscle tension as well.
- Have an Attitude of Gratitude – Practice by writing down one thing each day in a journal that you are grateful for. According to psychologytoday.com, gratitude is linked to improved well-being, mental health, and happiness.
- Bulk Up Your Breakfast with Protein – Start your day with eggs or a whey protein smoothie instead of your usual bagel or muffin. Naturopathic doctor Natasha Turner says on chatelaine.com that protein at breakfast increases your metabolism and energy, and reduces cravings for simple carbs later in the day.
Now you have a list of 7 ideas that you can implement to transform your health immediately! Try one every day this week and let us know how you feel!